When you opt for spine surgery, then you are setting yourself up for a lifetime of improved physical activity and less pain. You are also setting yourself up for improved moods and a better quality of life. However, you will also want to consider the recovery period that comes along with spinal surgeries. There are many types of spine surgeries and some are less invasive than others. Spine surgeries can vary pending on the work that you need done as well as what types of procedures that you are undergoing while in surgery. You may need to have two more more different procedures done while going under the knife. If this is the case, then you will want to give yourself more time for recovery after your surgery.
Of course, your recovery period will depend on your neurosurgeon and what they recommend for you. You may also need a physical therapist to help you during your recovery period, pending on how extensive your back pain surgery was and how long it will take to be able to move properly again. There are many things to consider when recovering from spine surgery. Listed here are several ways to recover from spine surgery:
1. Listen to your neurosurgeon. Your neurosurgeon is the best person to help you with your recovery period. You will want to make sure that you do everything as they say and to listen to them in order to have a speedy and effective recovery period. If you try to do too much too soon, then you may end up injuring yourself or preventing yourself from the full effects of the surgery.
2. Don't leave the hospital too soon. Don't get in a rush to leave the hospital. You need to be sure to follow the doctor's orders and leave when they discharge you. This may be the same day as your surgery or it may be a few days later, pending on the extent of your procedure.
3. Meet with a physical therapist right away. If you will need physical therapy, then you will want to meet with your therapist as soon as possible in order to ensure that you are getting started on your treatments right away.
4. Get a lot of rest. Make sure to get a lot of rest after surgery and to let your body have time to heal.
5. Relax! Don't try to do too much too soon.
As you can see, there are many things to consider when you are recovering from back pain surgery. You will want to be sure to consider the amount of time needed in order to properly recover so that you can choose the best time to go under the knife. Back surgery is something that should be done only after all other options for back pain treatment have failed. If you want to discuss your options with a neurosurgeon, then contact the trusted professionals over at Boulder Neurosurgical and Spine Associates. They have a plethora of experience with back pain surgeries and other spine surgeries and can help you make the right decisions for your needs.